|Structural characteristics of phytoplankton assemblages in tidal and non-tidal freshwater systems: a case study from the Schelde basin, Belgium|Muylaert, K.; Van Kerckvoorde, A.; Vyverman, W.; Sabbe, K. (1997). Structural characteristics of phytoplankton assemblages in tidal and non-tidal freshwater systems: a case study from the Schelde basin, Belgium. Freshwat. Biol. 38(2): 263-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.1997.00211.x
Aquatic communities > Plankton > Phytoplankton
Environments > Aquatic environment > Marine environment > Intertidal environment
België, Zeeschelde [Marine Regions]
Brak water; Zoet water
- The Schelde estuary, its side basins and their tributaries were sampled in August 1995 and April 1996 for phytoplankton abundance, biomass and species composition. In order to clarify the underlying causes of differences in phytoplanton communities, the results were related to some important abiotic variables.
- Although species richness and diversity did not differ significantly between the riverine and the freshwater tidal stations, multivariate ordination techniques based on species abundances differentiate between these two ecosystems. While in the rivers phytoplankton standing stocks were as high in summer as in spring, standing stocks in the freshwater tidal estuary were significantly higher in the August samples.
- It is postulated that due to the resuspension of suspended solids by estuarine currents, light is limiting phytoplankton development in the freshwater tidal reaches in spring. At that stage, phytoplankton populations have already developed in the rivers. In summer, zooplankton prevent any further increase of riverine phytoplankton populations. In the freshwater tidal estuary, however, increased light levels, a higher residence time compared to rivers and the absence of zooplankton due to low oxygen concentrations permit phytoplankton populations to bloom.
- Fytoplankton dataset: rivier-, brak- en zoetwatergetijdegebonden stations in het bekken van het Schelde-estuarium (zomer 1995 en lente 1996), meer
- OMES: Monitoring van het fytoplankton in de Zeeschelde, meer